Oct 2, 2010

Talking about Motherhood

Katherine is ready to potty train her adopted daughter Naleigh after an experience on a recent airplane flight. After changing the 20-month-old in the plane's cramped toilet, the actress noticed the diaper smell had lingered throughout the cabin. The Life As We Know It star explains, "This is grown-up kind of poo. I'm in this airplane and they didn't have these fold down tables to change her on; it's just a tiny little bathroom. I couldn't put her on the floor. I had to jam her head in the corner and lay her across the toilet and kneel below her and it was brutal. I was like, 'What did you eat?'

"I had to walk back to get her because she was sitting with the nanny and trying to sleep and that whole plane smelled really bad. I had to wake her up because it was just really mean to all the people around her. Now I'm so committed to potty training."
Heigl also admits she's particular when it comes to changing diapers.
"I want my husband and the nanny to do it the way I do it and use the same diaper cream because I swear that's what helps her; just the right kind of wipes and diapers. It's very apparent that I'm a control freak, so it's better if I do it myself."

Katherine says making lots of noise helps her baby daughter get to sleep.
“We’re really big on white noise,” Heigl said. “Her room is just above where we watch TV downstairs or whatever, and make a lot of noise. I’m a big believer in that.


“My mom actually taught that to me. She used to leave the vacuum running in the baby’s room. It really works. We also have this thing that makes all kinds of sounds.”