Sep 25, 2010

Katherine on adopting baby Naleigh

Adoption may seem to be the celebrity lifestyle choice du jour, but Katherine Heigl says she'd been dreaming of bringing home a baby of her home for quite a while.


It was so important to her that she had to make sure husband Josh Kelley felt just as strongly about adoption before they could walk down the aisle.

“Josh and I had been talking about adopting for a year before it actually happened. I had spoken to him about it before we got engaged because I wanted to be sure we were on the same page—not everybody feels the way I do about adoption,” Heigl told InStyle magazine for their October cover story. “I don’t know why it was so important for me to do it before we had biological children, but I felt like I had been waiting for and dreaming about [daughter] Naleigh for a long time.”

Heigl brought home Naleigh from Korea last September, a decision that eventually led to her walking away from her role as Izzie Stevens on “Grey’s Anatomy.” “I started a family and it changed everything for me,” Heigl told Entertainment Weekly of her decision in March. “It changed my desire to work full-time.”

But the 31-year-old actress hasn’t ceased work altogether, and her role in the new movie “Life as We Know It” actually found her job looking very much like her home life.

“My experience as Holly in [her new movie, Life as We Know It] was my experience as Katie in real life. There’s this thing where, as a new mother, you’re just constantly going, ‘Am I doing this right? Am I handling this right? Am I playing with her enough? Should I be talking to her more?’” she explained to InStyle. “You’re just nervous, so you’re almost creating more drama than is necessary.”

 
source